Wednesday 3 February 2010

Four and a Half

I've eaten two apples and some satsuma today. I left two satsumas (and two apples) sitting on the side in the kitchen, to remind me to eat fruit (I keep forgetting). It worked. But then my 18-month-old son came along and said he wanted some satsuma too. I kept giving him segments and realised he was having so many that he was significantly eating into my 5 a day (4.5 fruits (I also had half an apple in my muesli this morning) plus some random bits of veg scattered about half-heartedly) (I am now imagining a house with lettuce leaves on the floor at sporadic intervals) (are you?). So I peeled another one. He had some of that too.

It bothers me that I now don't know whether I had more or less than 2 satsumas, and by what margin.

7 comments:

Queenie said...

If in doubt... eat another one?

Beth said...

You do realise that if you normally get 5 portions of fruit and veg, missing out on half a portion is not going to make any difference to, well, anything????

If it bothers you that much, then I think Queenie nailed it :)

I like the lettuce visual!

Brian Clegg said...

One slight concern - although the government doesn't say it, as they think it's too complicated for the common herd, really you should try to make at least half your five a day veg rather than fruit - if it's all fruit you'll end up with too much sugar.

Megan said...

You need a chart! With red lines and black ones and maybe all the labels in a deep, sincere blue. You also need special pens, and probably some really nice mapping pins (NOT thumbtacks mind, but the nifty map ones that are all round at the top and come in such happy colours). It should hang on the wall in the kitchen right where you can see it, with a little organized bin for all the pins and pens and things so you can busily note down the number of segments consumed and the number (avg) of segments in a satsuma. OOOH! And a scale to weigh a satsuma vs an apple just to verify the relative fruit-a-day contribution of each! Naturally after a week the chart isn't nearly so fun and someone has borrowed the pens and...

Anonymous said...

Have some chocolate!

Life is sometimes too complicated. I'd have another satsuma too.

JoeinVegas said...

You are allowed to eat more

Jen said...

Jaffa Cakes. They count, don't they? And maybe a Terry's Chocolate Orange to be on the safe side.

You are too good. This worries me.